South Willingham School pupils and teacher 1916.
When South Willingham school closed the children from the village had to attend the school at Hainton. The following are a collection of photographs taken at Hainton school and were kindly donated by Jennifer Garside and Elizabeth Ory.
According to Mrs Anne Flowers nee Copeland who used to live in The
Thatch, it was once three separate homes.Mrs Flowers kindly supplied some of the photographs of The Thatch and of Woodbine Cottage.
- The Thatch . Station Road photographed in the 1930’s
- The Thatch Station Road date unknown.
- The Thatch Station Road
- Betts Pond Easter 1949 the building in the background is The Forge.
The above photograph shows Anne Copeland standing beside a pond in the grounds of Church Farm which was known by local people as ‘Betts Pond’ .The photograph was taken in 1949 at Easter . The Forge can be seen in the background. Anne Copeland used to live with her family in The Thatch.
- Early photograph of Church Farm Station Road. date unknown
- . _______________
Elizabeth Ory (formerly Bickford) of Oak Cottage
the photo of the Bett family was taken around 1900. The three standing from left to right are Jane, Fred and Ellen. The bottom row Mary Ann (my grandmother) Frances, William (with little John), Sarah, Mary, Margaret and Elizabeth (who incidently lived at the left hand cottage of the Mill cottages for all her married life.
Woodbine cottage is principally constructed of stone with a thatched roof and was part of the Hainton Estate which once owned most of South Willingham. In 1957 this cottage was sold for £70. It is believed to be at least 300-400 years old and was once the village post office.
ref. Lincolnshire Life magazine May 1971.
- Woodbine Cottage date unknown.
- An old photograph of Woodbine Cottage.
Woodbine cottage circa 1957
- Woodbine Cottage being re-thatched Feb,1962.
Woodbine Cottage June 1974
- Mill Cottages South Willingham date unknown
- Mill Cottages.
- View of two cottages in Blacksmiths Lane and also of The Schoolroom. date unknown
The two cottages are in the process of being made into one dwelling called Springfield View and the schoolroom is now a private house called RaynardsCottage.